A new year usually means new year’s resolutions for many people…but I like to do things a little differently. Since 2018 I’ve been setting goals in January that will bring me joy, and the list is full of accomplishments that will NOT make me feel bad or guilty if I DON’T achieve them, but rather enrich my life in an awesome way, like icing on an already delicious cake.
- Set aside 1 day per month for accounting: this one is important as a small business owner! I love doing the creative aspects of my business but the financial stuff? Not so much!
- Design a knitted garment to manufacture (I want some knitted pieces for next fall/winter)
- Design a menswear piece: Ummmm my husband deserves this!
- Do a CFAY runway show: I want to have a small “practice” runway show here on our military base for the spouses!
- Get a license to sell my products on base: I sell my stuff out of the US but don’t have a license to sell my stuff to people directly on the military base here in Japan yet.
- Make a connection fo fashion community in Japan: I want to figure out how to break into the market here in some way!
- Design a new fabric collection: It’s time to make some new prints!
- Dye my own yarn – I can cross this one off the list! If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll see that I had fun dying my own yarn already, with some mixed results! Ha ha!
- Learn to punch needle and make something for the home: I want to make a rug!!
- Get a facial and a massage: I rarely make time to do these, but love how nice and relaxed they make me. So I will be making time this year for both!
- Take Sundays off – NO BUSINESS: it is easy to work every day and night when you do something you love and also fulfills you creatively. But I do long to do OTHER things too— like knitting and punch needling, and painting… making things for my home… the list goes on. Sundays I relax and do those, plus spend time with my family and at church.
- Make 3 paintings: I’m originally a painter at heart, and my fabric designs all start off with painted marks, but I haven’t done a full painting in a while so I’d love to get back to that.
- Read 2 books per month: Audiobooks count! It will be almost 100% audiobooks
- Work on strength for running and stretching: I often focus just on my favorite cardio/triathlon sports and not on the stretching and strengthening to prevent injury.
- Do another sprint triathlon: I did one last fall and it was SO MUCH FUN that I bought a fancy bike and can’t wait to do it again!
- Bike and swim 1-2 times a week when weather is warm enough
- Go to the podiatrist: I have a problem with my left foot when I run and I’m sick of this issue so its time do something about it!
- Try the SUP (stand-up paddleboard) Aquafit class at the pool on base.
- Listen to conference talk each week: my church has bi-yearly conferences with speakers that give uplifting talks that I know will help me in my life if I listen to them more often!
- 10 minutes of solo scripture study per day: I study with my kids but I am out of the habit of daily scripture study for myself. Trying to make an easy-to-obtain goal here!
- Develop good CFM routine with kids: COME FOLLOW ME is a home-based scripture study curriculum my church has that we do with our kids.
- Go on 2 dates per month with my husband Francisco: I fell out of habit of this thing we used to ALWAYS do before the pandemic!
I hope my 22 goals for 2022 has perhaps inspired YOU to maybe list out a few of your own. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself though. The past 2 years have been tough for us all, and if making a list of fun things to do in the new year makes you happy, then go ahead! If not, then that’s ok too. Another idea is maybe try making 1 new goal per month. It could be as simple as going on a walk 3 days a week, or wearing a fancy outfit one day a month just for fun. Start off small and remember to do the things that make you happy.
If one of your goals is to try out dopamine dressing, or wearing clothes that make you happy (and not just those grey sweatpants we’ve ALL being wearing the past two years), then check out my online course Wear Happy Color: Your Guide to Wearing a Colorful Wardrobe. Maybe you love color, but aren’t sure how to bring more of it into your daily wardrobe? In this course, I show you the basics of color theory and give tips and guidance on how to wear various colors together in unexpected ways.
The online course can be viewed and completed in an afternoon at your convenience and includes 5 color theory lesson videos, and a downloadable FREE copy of my ebook Wear Happy Color: a Guide to a Colorful Wardrobe along with a handy color wheel postcard.